Proactively managing your insurance allows you to maximize benefits, efficiently plan for care and treatment, and track claims, payments and overall healthcare costs.
Pay Your Insurance Premiums – On time payments are critical to maintaining coverage, which cannot always be reinstated if it lapses. This is especially true with CobraCOBRA. To safeguard coverage, designate a friend or relative to receive notification that a payment was missed.
- Plan Benefits – Know your plan’s deductibles, coinsurance and out of pocket maximums for In and Out of Network providers. Call your insurance company if you have questions.
- Prescription Drug Coverage – Are you taking new medications? Has your co-pay or tier level changed for maintenance meds? Have you considered mail order? Find out if your pharmacy is a preferred provider.
- ID Cards – Carry your 2021 medical/rx/dental ID cards with you or save a picture on your phone. If you prefer a paper card, you can download it from the company website.
- Provider Networks – Are your providers in or out of network for your 2021 health plan?
- Planned Surgery or Treatments – Call your insurance company and providers to make sure services are authorized. Failure to do so may cost you.
- Preventative Care Coverage: Schedule wellness visits and age appropriate screening tests – many are covered at 100% if you use in-network providers.
- Compare costs for outpatient procedures. Don’t assume that all in-network providers charge the same fee for tests, scans, bloodwork, etc… Fees can differ significantly and will impact your out-of-pocket costs.
- Insurance company websites – Register online with your plan. This will allow you to view and track benefit determinations, claim payments and find in-network providers.
- Health Care Proxy, Living Will, and Durable Power of Attorney –. Every adult should have these legal documents. Make sure they are current, reflect your wishes and are easily accessible.
- Release of Information Authorizations – Obtain all necessary authorizations to ensure that trusted partners can advocate on your behalf with providers and insurance companies and make sure your wishes are met.
Contact Healthcare Pathfinder for professional, individualized advice on planning and preparing for surgery, managing ongoing claims and tracking payments. [email protected]