- Read your plan’s coverage documents, every year, even if you think you know what they say. Before you can figure out how to use your plan, you have to know what’s in it. Especially important to know your plan type – HMO? EPO? PPO? Also, know your deductibles and out-of-pocket cost limits.
- Find yourself a good primary care doctor. They can be an excellent advocate for you when you have a health care issue. An annual physical with your primary care doctor can keep you up-to-date with what’s going on in your body, and give you an idea of what kind of medical services you might need in the coming year.
- Save money by going to preferred or in-network providers. Before you go to a new healthcare provider or get your prescriptions covered, check to see if they accept your insurance. If they don’t know, call your insurance company or check on your company website.
- Take advantage of preventive care services. Even if you have a “catastrophic”, high-deductible plan, health screenings or other “preventive” care should be included – meaning, you’re not responsible for a copay or other out-of-pocket costs.
- Know how to file a claim. If you see a doctor that is not “in-network”, (doesn’t accept your insurance), you may have to pay the whole cost at the time of your appointment or will receive a bill for the full amount. If you have out-of-network benefits, your provider might file a claim for you or you will need to file it yourself. To learn more about your Out-of-network benefits call your insurance company or register on your insurance company website for details.
- Don’t miss out on health plan perks. For example, you might be eligible for discounts for a gym membership, dental or vision care, LASIK procedures, or massages.
Healthcare Pathfinder can help you review your coverage, explore options and make changes. We are a fee-for-service professional healthcare advice, advocacy, and management firm. We do not sell insurance or share commissions.
Contact Healthcare Pathfinder at 888-511-0128, ext. 104, or view our website for more information: www.healthcarepathfinder.com